(This trip also in response to the request of “Let’s venture out of Singapore, perhaps to Johor?!”)
There have been much interest going to Pengarang especially since In late 2011 news about the Malaysian government’s plans to build petrochemical projects there and,
in Feb 2014, a Feng Shui expert has selected Pengarang for its “good Feng Shui” and to which graves from the new Chinese gravesite in Bukit Gelugor, Johor will be relocated here!
Before this wonderful place is no more…. become less idyllic, with an increase in traffic both human and vehicles – lorries …
COME, join us in this “raw” venture ie., sans prior recce, so somewhat disorganized… bear with us ….
On the way one will enjoy lovely scenery of uncut grasses waving on either sides (sign of ‘welcome’ hehe) coconuts trees swaying with the wind; the lovely kampong charm; the peaceful surrounding devoid of tall buildings! The lack of urban noises, if one craved for open spaces
Sungai Rengit the town in Pengarang located south-eastern tip of Johor is dotted with a dozen seafood restaurants, all with local Spiny Lobsters as their main draw!
The favourable currency exchange rates for Singapore dollar meant we will eat like ‘royalty’ there.
Pengerang was also the site of a major WW2-era British coastal battery — Malayan WWII history, where the British troops readied their defences in preparation for a Japanese attack via Singapore!
Unlike other groups, I prefer to go with the bumboat instead of coach!
NOTE: Time & cost – are estimates only and to be paid by each participant.
This trip is subject to availabilities & weather condition.
The day’s adventure shall start from our Changi Village.
ECs: Christina Chan & Azhari Cuttilan
Date: Saturday, 10th May 2014 (ie., 2nd Saturday)
Start Time: 8.15am sharp.
Changi Point Ferry terminal, gather at the back to ‘Mark’ attendance (do not go down to the ferry departure lobby).
LOGISTICs purpose –
GUARANTEE OF SEAT/RESERVATION ***** - Deposit S$20 with registration to POSB Acct No.: 542-107-561
by Tuesday 29th April 2014.
Please provide name & time of deposit for verification purposes.
Deposit will be refunded either on board bumboat or during lunch.
“No show” = No refund of deposit, which will be taken to defray cost for missing seats in bumboat and taxi or registered participant get a replacement.
Reservations will be considered in sets of 12, SHC members shall be given priority.
Initial target: 24pax.
Additional will be placed on wait list, if insufficient no. of pax to fill another bumboat, you may choose to pay/share for the missing seats to make up the bumboat operators’ requirement.
The prerogatives of the Walk Team shall take precedence.
HIGHLIGHTS of the trip –
1) Visit Ostrich Farm, admission charge RM$15 – ostrich satay, omelettes… yum, yum
2) Walk around town and/or to the lovely beach.
3) a sumptuous seafood lunch (must have lobsters!, need to place orders.)
4) hopefully, we can find the trail to Pengarang Battery – last heard trail was covered by nature.
5) 3pm – head back to the jetty by taxi.
6) 4pm – back in Singapore soil!
IMPORTANT! Participant to note:
1) BRING YOUR PASSPORTS. PASSPORTS MUST BE VALID AT LEAST 6 MONTHS!
2) Bring mosquitoes repellent, umbrella, sun block, cap, water bottles, wear comfortable shoes.
3) Bumboat : one way trip S$12.00. bumboat operator will only leave if the capacity of 12 passengers is filled OR pay for the missing passengers/seats.
4) At Singapore Passengers Departure Lobby – required to submit individual passports for custom registration.
5) Travel time: Approx 45 minutes/1 hour to reach Tanjung Pengelih jetty./Pengarang Ferry Terminal.
6) CLEAR CUSTOMS. Then gather together in your groups as per in the bumboat of 12pax. Will nominate 1 lead/per bumboat to assist.
7) Take Taxi (can seat 4passengers) to the small town. Travel time: about 15 minutes at $20 Malaysian Ringgit OR we might book taxi for round trip (approx. cost M$90 – 100 for full day). At this point still Unable to get in contact with taxi operator.
General Information –
Ostrich farm is opened by Mr Colin Teh who is a former Singapore SAF pilot. Both the showroom and restaurant are located outside the farm so no admission charges to visit them.
Do you know the toughness of an Ostrich’s egg? Answer, hear it from Mr. Teh … intro about Ostriches are provided by Mr. Teh/or staff.
Buy home — individual choice
Kedai Kek Lim Choo Seng famous for pastries eg., Lao Po Bing aka Old Wife Cake, etc.
Walk Team ECs: Charles Wee, Veronica Wong, Jeffrey Lim, Mary Tan, Serene Low, Alice Seah, Azhari Cuttilan, Judy Lim and June Koh and I, Christina CL Chan, signing off….
REGISTRATION with deposit*****